Date:      Mon, 4 Aug 2003 23:28:42 +0930
From:      Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay@internode.on.net>
To:        Stefan Malte Schumacher <s.schumacher@netcologne.de>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bash / Promise Controller

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 21:50, Stefan Malte Schumacher wrote:
> I am new to Freebsd and have some questions concerning the settings of =
the
> bash shell under FreeBSD and the Kernel Configuration.
>
> 1. I have been using the bash under linux for years and I would like to
> configure in such a way under freebsd that it resembles my linux-settin=
gs
> as close as possible. I have already installed the bash as default shel=
l,
> but I am stilg some things. I wolike ike to have colored ls-output and =
in

Thsi is not a property of bash but is an option to ls.
if you alias ls -G to ls in .bashrc then you'll get colours assuming your=
=20
terminal admits to being prepared to display them. If your using xterm th=
e=20
normal termcap entry doesn't admit to colour so they won't appera unless =
you=20
set the TERM environment variable to xterm-color.

> jed nothing seems to be working. I cant acess the Menu with Alt+Key,

I don't know anything about jed -- answer may be in the jed iniitializati=
on=20
but more likely in the way xterm delivers these key combinations to it.
This can probably be adjusted in the xterm resource (or .Xdefaults)

> Backspace does not work and I cant scroll down with page up /down. I al=
so

Again seems to be key translations and the code you expect from the backs=
pace=20
key -- see also xmodmap(1)

Does jed read the key definitions from termcap?

> would like to be able to browse for example ls output with
> Shift-Page-Up/Down. How can I achive this ? I have just noticed another

By default these actions are linked to the wheel in a wheel mouse. But yo=
u can=20
reset these by connecting the xterm actions scroll-foward and scroll-reve=
rse=20
to your chosen key combinations in the xterm resource or .Xdefaults

> weird phenomen : When I use jed via ssh arrow key down scrolls down unt=
il
> jed itselfs vanished in the upper part of the screen.
>

> 2.
> I am currently creating a custom kernel config. ( I have read the manua=
l in
> the handbook). But I still have some questions : What is with the modul=
es ?
> Are options I comment out in the kernel automatically compiled as modul=
es ?
> And does the GENERIC-File include all the possible kernel options ? I a=
m a
> bit confused because I have not found an option for my Promise 133TX2.
> The Standard-Kernel recognizes it just fine. I also did not find even
> limited choices for sound card support.
>
> Thanks in Advance

Malcolm Kay