Date:      Sun, 19 Mar 2000 12:51:25 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        "Brian K . Walters" <bkwalters@lucent.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: .. /var/log/mqueue low on space msgs

On Sat, Mar 18, 2000 at 01:12:55AM +0000, Brian K . Walters wrote:

> I just did a 4.0 install via ftp on a system and I am continuously
> getting the following messages
>
> 	sendmail[177]: NOQUEUE: low on space ( have 0, SMTP-DAEMON needs 101
> 	in /var/spool/mqueue)
> 	/kernel: pid  2351 (mgetty), uid 0 on /var: file system full
>
> I am new to FreeBSD and I do not understand how /var could be full
> when I just installed it.  I did a du -k /var and it appears that most
> of the space is being used by /var/db/pkg.  Could I just delete the
> stuff in that directory or move everything to another partition and
> link it back to /var/db/pkg

You can get away with this, for a while, but eventually you'll have to
create a larger /var partition and move everything over.  However, you
can move over some things to /usr if you have more space there.

You did not mention the sizes of your partitions, and it's hard for me
to guess where you have more space, but for giving you this example, I'm
assuming that you can move /var/spool/mqueue over to /usr and stop
sendmail from complaining that there's not enough space.

This can be done like shown below:

1. Stop sendmail, to inhibit it from writing in the queue while it's
   copied.

	# killall sendmail

2. Copy the queue over:

	# cd /var/spool
	# mkdir /usr/spool
	# pax -r -w -p e mqueue /usr/spool

3. Remove the old mqueue directory from /var

	# rm -fr mqueue

4. Create the symbolic link from /usr/spool/mqueue into /var/spool.

	# ln -s /usr/spool/mqueue

That should stop sendmail for a while.  With a /var that's full, you
might find it easier to move over into /usr/var everything from /var if
you have enough space in /usr for doing this.  You might care to bring
the system down to single-user mode for doing this, since some programs
might be using /var while you're moving it over under /usr.  This time
the commands to do the thing would be (without comments here):

	# cd /
	# mkdir /usr/var
	# pax -r -w -p e var /usr
	# rm -fr var