Date:      Sat, 28 Oct 2000 13:03:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jaime <jaime@malkav.snowmoon.com>
To:        Jesse <j@lumiere.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: handling disk failures with vinum

On Sat, 28 Oct 2000, Jesse wrote:
> So.. is vinum capable of continuing to operate when a drive fails, or will
> the system always die block on accesses and require a reboot?
> I'm hoping the system can continue to operate during a failure, even if
> I'm not around to reboot the system. I'm running 4.1-STABLE.

	I don't recall what I did, but when I tested my RAID-5 vinum set
up, it continued to function.  When I did this, I don't think that I
pulled the power cable while a write was occuring, though.  Also, after
plugging the offending drive back into its power supply, I had to login as
root and use the vinum command line tool in order to make the array
realize that its drive was back.  Then it conducted the rebuilding of that
drive.  However, I was able to cat a text file and echo >> to that file
while the drive was unplugged.

						Jaime