Date:      Fri, 20 Sep 1996 12:45:35 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      sos@freebsd.org
To:        pialkin@abel.pdmi.ras.ru (Alexey Pialkin)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, sos@freebsd.org, j_mini@efn.org, emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New doscmd available for testing/munching

> > My 'conceptual model' for this went something like :
> >
> > - allocate 128K in the emulation process for screen memory.
> > - when vt is activated, copy the area that falls under the physical screen
> >   memory to a temporary store.
> > - mmap the screen memory onto your emulation's buffer.
> > - copy your temporary store back.
> > - when vt is deactivated, reverse the process.
>
> Great.. The most funny thing that i am trying to do the same thing :( And no
> result.. BTW problem is with mmap the screen memory onto emulation buffer ..
> Somthing wrong there .. But what ?

What I meant was that I don't think that we can do a mmap onto memory
thats is mapped directly to HW adressees, ask Dyson about this, he
will know how to if at all possible. There is nothing syscons has
to do with this, its strictly a vm problem...

> > ... but I really don't know what happens when you mmap() screen memory
> > onto a section of your process' space that is already mapped.  Or would

As I said ask Dyson, I'n not sure this works at all in the curretn VM system...

Soren Schmidt             (sos@FreeBSD.org)             FreeBSD Core Team
               So much code to hack -- so little time.