Date:      07 Dec 2001 08:42:25 +0500
From:      Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Eugene Panchenko <replicator@ngs.ru>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More than 6 partitions on one slice?

On Thu, 2001-12-06 at 22:36, Eugene Panchenko wrote:
> > > I'm afraid that I can't use b since it's my swap...
> >=20
> > OK, but in general this works.
>=20
> Oh, no doubt, I was speaking only for my case...
>=20
> > >
> > > I've already have used up all 4 partitions for QNX,
> > > NetBSD, MSDOS622 (yeah, I admit), and, of course,
> > > FreeBSD :)
> >=20
> > OK, but in general this works.
>=20
> Same thing here ;-)
>=20
> > There are a large number of reasons why this won't work.
> > The most obvious one is the question of device nodes:
> > the minor number only has three bits for the partition
> > number, so it wouldn't work.  You'd be better off with
> > the Vinum solution.
>=20
> :-((  But your explanation is very good, thanks!..
>=20
> > I still have difficulty believing you need this many
> > partitions.
>=20
>=20
> The reason is quite simple, consider my current layout:
>=20
>   /         a
>   swap      b
>   /var/ftp  d  /var      e  /tmp      f
>   /usr      g
>   /home     h
> And I have about 50G (out of 80G) left.  I'd like to use
> it for, say, /mnt/media, or something like that.  I also
> want to mount /var/www separately -- so much easier for
> doing backups (oh I *love* dump/restore ;-))

If you make /tmp a mfs partition, you can recover one slice.  However,
things being what they are, you may have to shuffle a few slices around
to get to those extra 50 GB.  I have this in my /etc/fstab for /tmp:

/dev/da1s1b     /tmp        mfs rw,nosymfollow,nosuid,-s=3D262144     0 =20
0

This creates a 256 MB /tmp that doesn't allow suid bits or symlinks to
be followed.  This basically uses memory and swap for /tmp, and keeps
temp files off of /.

Joe