Date:      Mon, 27 Feb 2006 22:57:55 -0800
From:      Christopher Kelley <bsd@kelleycows.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: libtool note in UPDATING

Ade Lovett wrote:

> On Feb 27, 2006, at 14:06 , Christopher Kelley wrote:
>> Is there a more straightforward explanation of how to upgrade ports
>> with the new libtool?
>
> That *is* the straightforward way of explaining it :)
>
> libtool is one of a handful of ports that is used so extensively by
> the rest of the tree that providing a one-click method that's going to
> work in every situation is an exercise in futility.  Around 1400 ports
> were directly affected by the change, with several hundred more having
> varying degrees of collateral damage (which, as far as I know, has all
> been fixed as of the time of writing).  That's greater than 10% of the
> tree as a whole.
>
> Judicious use of portupgrade and its ilk may certainly work in your
> case, but there are absolutely no guarantees that something,
> somewhere, in the rebuild will go wrong, and result in a rather messed
> up set of packages on the system.
>
> If you want to be absolutely, positively sure, I'm afraid there is
> only one simple solution, involving the archival of any configuration
> files that may have been changed locally, followed by saving off a
> list of the ports/packages installed on the system, then "rm -rf
> /var/db/pkg/* /usr/local /usr/X11R6 /usr/compat/*" and building
> everything from scratch.  I tested both this method, and the
> portupgrade method, on two identically configured scratch boxes with a
> few hundred ports installed on both, and the sledgehammer approach was
> in fact considerably faster.
>
>> Also, will 6.1-RELEASE have this change already in the ports tree
>> that it ships with?
>
> Yes.  This also offers a third solution.  Wait until 6.1-RELEASE comes
> out, along with its associated package sets, and do a clean install
> from there.  Ditto for 5.5-RELEASE if there is some reason to keep a
> machine on the 5.x branch as opposed to jumping to 6.x
>
> -aDe

Which is, in fact, the solution I think I'm going to take.  I had
planned on upgrading my last machine from 5.4 to 6.1 anyway, so that one
wasn't a concern, but I had hoped to avoid the reinstall for my other
(unfortunately very much slower) machines.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions and input.  I'm sorry that I
don't have time to try some of the suggestions that have been made, this
seems to be the fastest and simplest method.

Christopher