Date:      Sun, 16 Jan 2000 18:37:57 +0530
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Shino <shino@hakkenden.com>
Cc:        Freebsd-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: picobsd routed netbeui tcpdump

On Tuesday, 11 January 2000 at 10:13:00 -0600, Shino wrote:
> I have several router boxes running freebsd RouteD.  I thought
> routed only passed tcp packets but I am seeing netbeui and ipx
> packets as well…

This character at the end of the line (0x85) is invalid for the
character set.  You should check your mailer (Microsoft Outlook) which
is notorious for this sort of thing.

> stuff I would only expect to see in a bridge situation.  Any
> thoughts on why routed might be passing netbeui packets?

Well, routed doesn't pass data, it just tells the system where to send
them.  If the NETBEUI is encapsulated in IP (which I don't think it
has to be) then it will be routed the same as any others.  Is this not
what you want?

> Secondarily would tcpdump catch netbeui packets or just tcp packets?

By default, tcpdump catches all network traffic.  You can tell it to
limit to specific data.

Greg