Date:      Sat, 31 Mar 2001 20:54:23 +0200
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        hamellr@heorot.1nova.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: email question

Mike Meyer wrote:

> It's the *outgoing* mail and *copying* that's the interesting
> part. According to at least one frequent poster here, MS *expects*
> ISPs to scan incoming mail for viruses. I expect that most ISPs have
> spam filters on incoming mail that do some kind of scanning as
> well. How many of them save copies of the mail, though?

They would, wouldn't they? Making it safe means losing userfriendliness,
incorporating a 'viral scanner' ;) means another nail in their coffin.

> FWIW, The World was recently sued for damages because their spam
> scanners dropped some non-spam mail. The court upheld their right to
> do this.

Yeah, well, personally I feel that the best solution is to define a
clear policy, publish it good - i.e. circumvent the 'but how could I
know?' - have legal eyes check it over and implement it.

It's a mess. Consider that the German court had a german resident of
Australia extradited for propagating Holocaust fables (like it never
happenned, those kind of fables), only to 'lend' him out to the French
courts for an, uhm, prior arrangement. The extradition was based on
the cuplrit having published a web page targeted at the german people.

Take the privacy issue. Different laws for different parts of the world.
Heck, as far as I know, even for different states within the same
conglomerate. Be it the US or the EU. I.e. much akin to the sales tax
mess. They're still trying to harmonize things but that's a slow and
tricky process.

Roelof