Date:      Thu, 1 Mar 2001 20:41:38 +1100
From:      Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
To:        itojun@iijlab.net
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPFILTER IPv6 support non-functional?

In some email I received from itojun@iijlab.net, sie wrote:
> >But at the same time they WILL NOT MATCH "pass tcp packets" either.
> >
> >Generally, the policy should be "block everything, permit what you want"
> >and in that case you would end up dropping things with IPPROTO_ROUTING,
> >etc.  Even a basic ruleset like:
> >
> >block in all
> >block out all
> >pass out proto tcp/udp all
> >pass in proto tcp/udp all
> >
> >will block all the IPv6 packets with routing headers, etc.
>
> 	but then what if you would like to permit packets with extension
> 	headers?  or like only certain combinations?
> 	most of the existing packet filter languages have the same issue, btw.

Or even, what if you want allow particular combinations or sequences or
maybe chains of a particular length ?

As it is, IP Filter can easily filter on whether a particular extension
header is there or not once I make it recognise them using a procedure
similar to looking for IP options in fr_makefrip().  What'll actually be
harder is looking for all the assumptions about the "final protocol
header" being the "next header" after the IPv{4,6} header and making
sure as much as possible goes into the *same* mbuf.  Ugh.

Anyway, once all that is sorted out, the filtering will be limited to
what can be done with IPv4 options - is that sufficient ?

Darren