Date:      Fri, 25 Jan 2002 17:34:09 -0500
From:      Matt Penna <mdp1261@ritvax.isc.rit.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.x - lock ups + reboots

> >> sounds like bad ram to me.
> >>
> >> try installing and using /usr/ports/sysutils/memtest
> >>
> >> it helps identify if you ram is bad.
> >>
> >Except his problem is very similar to mine, although much more
> >problematic.
> >And the memory on my system laughs in derision at memtest's attempt
> >to break it :)
>
>that is always nice... i guess time to break out the DIMM tester.

I think I'll chime in, here. :)

Though I've never used memtest, I've never had any other software memory
tester tell me anything useful.

For hardware diagnostic tools, my very strong recommendation goes to
Ultra-X. You can find them at www.uxd.com or www.ultra-x.com (If you type
in the latter, don't forget the hyphen or you'll end up at an adult site.)

Their products are expensive and aimed at the professional market, so they
aren't really intended for someone who has to test memory once on just one
machine. A lot of hardware passes through my hands and I maintain a lot of
systems, so it was well worth the investment for me. The last card I bought
from them, the PhD PCI was about $1200 US last I checked, but I got it for
$1000 because I was a previous customer.

I've never had their cards fail to identify a memory problem. There are
also other diagnostics built in for testing motherboards, CPUs, disk drives
of all types, etc. The time and money they've saved me has paid for the
test equipment many times over.

This sounds a lot like a commercial...

         Matt

--
Matt Penna                                      mdp1261@rit.edu
ICQ: 399825                                     S0ba on AOLIM