Date:      Fri, 22 Dec 2000 20:22:20 -0000
From:      "Jason Halbert" <res02jw5@gte.net>
To:        "Hudson, Henrik H." <hhudson@eschelon.com>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Mail Servers

The evidence suggests that "Hudson, Henrik H." wrote:

> Hey Jason-
>
> I would suggest reading up on virtusertable  in regards to the
actual
> mailboxes for incoming mail. As for the relaying, you need to add
either
> your IP or the name that your IP resolves too to the sendmail.cw
file (if
> sendmail 8.9 something) or the local-host-allow file if newer then
that.

> www.sendmail.org   has some pretty good docs on this and I would
prefer not
> to rewrite them in this email :)
>
> I have never used a sendmail from the ports, so I don't know the
"defaults"
> that they have setup or anything, so I won't be of much help there.
>
> Henrik
> ---
> Henrik Hudson

Halbert
> Sent: Friday, December 22, 2000 10:02
> To: questions@FreeBSD.org
> Subject: Mail Servers
>

> Okay.. I feel stupid..
>
> I'm trying to setup POP and SMTP internet mail servers on my box.  I
> have a domain (jason-n3xt.org).  On my box I have popper set to run
> for POP and sendmail for SMTP.
>
> On my laptop I can setup Outlook Express for my POP server and it
> connects and checks mail fine.
>
> I can't seem to figure out how to setup sendmail to work for
internet
> mail.  I think it has something to do with aliases, but I don't
know.
> Here is the error message from Outlook Express:
>
> The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was
> rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was
> 'res02jw5@gte.net'. Subject 'test', Account: 'jason-n3xt.org',
Server:
> 'jason-n3xt.org', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 5.7.1
> <res02jw5@gte.net>... Relaying denied', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No,
> Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79
>
> On the server I get:
>
> jason-n3xt sendmail[226]: eBMFVUt00226: ruleset=check_rcpt, arg1=<
> res02jw5@gte.net >, relay=crtntx1-ar3-098-023.dsl.gtei.net
> [4.33.98.23], reject=550 5.7.1 < res02jw5@gte.net>... Relaying
denied
> jason-n3xt sendmail[229]: eBMFVgt00229: SYSERR(root): hash map
> "Alias0": missing map file /etc/mail/aliases.db: No such file or
> directory
>
> I've read man sendmail but I didn't learn much...
>
> I also have a problem with incoming mail being to the server.  Again
> think I'm missing something in the setup.  My isp's mail server
> returns the error:

> ... while talking to jason-n3xt.org.:
> <<< 550 5.1.1 <jason@jason-n3xt.org>... User unknown
> 550 <jason@jason-n3xt.org>... User unknown
>
> I'm not even really sure where to start there...
>
> I know it's a lot but if anyone can help I will be eternally
greatful.
> =)

No I don't think that is correct for sendmail.  I need it to forward
all mail it recieves from any host to any host.

I am using the latest version of sendmail and apperently there is some
FEATURE you have to add so that it relay's without discrimisation.
I've read lots of stuff on sendmail.org and I can't figure out where
it's talking about that I have to add the stuff I need to.

So I'm still lost (if not more so then when I started).

My POP server is working now though, so that's good.

---
| Jason P. Halbert                 | res02jw5@gte.net |
| Transmitter Maintenance Engineer | DALnet: Push^Pop |
| KC5WEG                           | ICQ#: 86637300   |
| KDAF-TV WB 33                    | (214) 252-3300   |
| KDTX-TV 58                       | (972) 399-0058   |
|         Fortune favors the well prepared.           |
|               http://jason-n3xt.org                 |