Date:      Mon, 22 Aug 2005 00:50:22 GMT
From:      garys@opusnet.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/85104: keyboard(4) manpage hides behind Xorg version

The following reply was made to PR docs/85104; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: garys@opusnet.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To: Dejan Lesjak <dejan.lesjak@ijs.si>
Cc: bug-followup@freebsd.org, garys@opusnet.com
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 17:43:55 -0700

 Dejan Lesjak <dejan.lesjak@ijs.si> writes:

 > Getting keyboard manpage seems to work as expected here:
 >
 > % man -w keyboard
 > /usr/share/man/man4/keyboard.4.gz
 >
 > % man -wa keyboard
 > /usr/share/man/man4/keyboard.4.gz
 > /usr/X11R6/man/man4/keyboard.4x.gz
 >
 > Putting manpages from X11 into 4x was done exactly so there would be an easy
 > way to get to them - see PR ports/25576.
 > Could it be that you have misconfigured manpath.config or MANPATH variable set
 > perhaps?

 Neither (untouched "manpath.config", no MANPATH), but my PATH obviously
 doesn't work well with the installed "manpath.config".

 Of course I could fix this with manpath.config, but
 it seems like too much learning to make (normal?) users do, esp.
 without telling them about it, not even in the Handbook.

 Besides, I think "man path" stuff is OK; it SHOULD make the X11
 manpage the default, since that's the keyboard I'm using.  But there
 ought to be a way to get to the FreeBSD manpage without using a long
 pathname.  But if it's too hard to implement, then the situation
 should just be noted in the docs somewhere. (I can think about that
 later if the manual system won't be "fixed".)

 I noticed the .4x. but it didn't occur to me to try "man 4x keyboard",
 since I thought the "4" was for "man4".  But this doesn't help me
 because "man 4 keyboard" still brings up keyboard(4x) manpage.

 Thanks for looking into it.