Date:      Fri, 23 Mar 2001 22:34:02 -0800
From:      Josh Homan <josh@cse.ucsc.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        josh@cse.ucsc.edu
Subject:   Procedure for installing -CURRENT

Hey, can someone give me a quick 'sanity check' here? I'm wanting to
install -CURRENT on a laptop to play with the new CardBus stuff. I've
got a docking station for the machine that has an xl0 interface, so I
don't need an exotic config if there's a cleaner way to install. Anyway,
here's what I've come up with:

a) install 4.2-RELEASE from CD. Install minimal installation.
b) install cvsup-bin-1.6 package from ftp.
c) boot minimal, config networking.
d) create /etc/make.conf -- add CFLAGS= -O -pipe, COPTFLAGS= -O -pipe,
   and NOPROFILE=TRUE (get these from /etc/defaults/make.conf)
e) create /usr/sup/refuse -- copy from /usr/share/examples/cvsup/refuse,
   additional doc/* lines from refuse.README
f) edit /usr/share/examples/cvsup/standard-supfile:
   change CHANGE_THIS to cvsup10, comment out *default compress,
   and add ports-all
g) cvsup -g -L2 /usr/share/examples/cvsup/standard-supfile
h) cd /usr/src/; make -j4 buildworld >& BUILDWORLD.OUT &
i) cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf; cp NEWCARD STREAM
j) edit STREAM for proper configuration (mostly, have a comment-fest)
k) cp NEWCARD.hints /boot/device.hints
l) cd /usr/src/; make -j4 buildkernel KERNCONF=STREAM >& BUILDKERN.OUT &
m) make installkernel KERNCONF=STREAM >& INSTALLKERN.OUT &
n) reboot to single user
o) cd /usr/src/; make installworld >& INSTALLWORLD.OUT &
p) mergemaster -iv
q) customize to heart's content or sanity's limit
r) reboot to spiffy NEWBUS world

Basically, I'm asking if there's a simpler way to install -CURRENT, and
if anyone sees if my procedure is obviously going to fail at some point

Please reply direct or cc: me, I can't keep up with the sheer volume on
-questions.

Thanks,

Josh