Date:      Mon, 28 Sep 1998 08:41:44 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Bill/Carolyn Pechter <pechter@shell.monmouth.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Time for FreeBSD.COM (freebsd.inc?)

> Is it now time for FreeBSD Inc.?

There is a FreeBSD, Inc.  It just doesn't do much more than buy people
hardware, fund the freebsd test labs and upgrade freebsd.org resources
as necessary for the time being.  It could probably try and do even
more than that, but time and $$$ are limited enough right now that
it's not really worth chasing that right now anyway.

> Slashdot has a story about Intel and Netscape investing in the Red Hat
> Linux operation... according to ZDNET!

Old news. :)

> Perhaps some enterprising type will finally come up with a commercially
> supported FreeBSD in the near future.  I'm not sure if it's something
> Walnut Creek will back, or some group of folks who resell FreeBSD
> based products in some kind of joint funding or consortium.

I'm not sure what you mean by "commercially supported", but Walnut
Creek CDROM is going to be offering a number of support contract
arrangements in the near future - the infrastructure for handling
trouble tickets and customer support logs is being built as we speak.

Other than that, what we need before people like Intel will be showing
up on our doorstep with sacks of money is simply a lot more users.
You're not going to get people banging down your door asking whether
or not they can please please please port Office97 to FreeBSD unless
the market for such things appears to be there, and I don't think the
market (at least in terms of size) is there yet.  We could create
50 different FreeBSD, Incs. and that still wouldn't change a thing.

- Jordan