Date:      Sat, 22 Feb 2003 15:36:30 +0200
From:      Willie Viljoen <will@unfoldings.net>
To:        Cliff Sarginson <cls@raggedclown.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ssh(d) problems between FreebSD and Linux Systems

On Saturday 22 February 2003 15:01, Cliff Sarginson wrote:
> Hello,
> Behind my firewall I am trying to set up password-free ssh between the
> various systems. I have come across a curious problem. From a BSD
> machine I can set it up so that FreeBSD can ssh into any of the Linux
> machines is fine, but the other way around, trying to get into the
> FreeBSD machines from Linux, causes sshd on FreebSD to return
>
> Feb 22 13:46:57 willow sshd[926]: fatal: monitor_read: unsupported
> request: 24
>
> This happens with 2 different varieties of Linux, so it is not an
> artefact of just one system. The configurations look the same at both
> ends as far as I can see.
>
> I have "achieved this by generating an rsa key, and putting the public
> one into the authorized_keys2 file as appropriate.
>
> Any suggestions ?

Try and make sure that your Linux systems always use protocol version 2.
FreeBSD uses this protocol by default, but most Linux distributions default
to version 1 for compatibility reasons.

Public key authentication only appeared in version 2, so machines trying to
use version 1 will not be able to use it properly.

The quickest way to achieve this is to force remote systems to use version 2
by adding this in /etc/ssh/sshd_config on the FreeBSD system (it should
already be there for new versions):

Protocol 2

Note that a setting of 2,1 will not work as it will still server protocol 1
if clients request it first.

Will

--
Willie Viljoen