Date:      Sat, 10 Feb 2001 12:59:50 +0200
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@sunbay.com>
To:        Dennis Jun <dennisjun@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: net.inet.tcp.restrict_rst  vs net.inet.tcp.blackhole

On Sat, Feb 10, 2001 at 05:46:48AM -0500, Dennis Jun wrote:
> What is the difference between these two options?
> net.inet.tcp.restrict_rst: 1 vs net.inet.tcp.blackhole: 2 ?? It seems to
> me they both do the same thing. Plus, how would you turn on blackhole at
> startup? I don't see a line for it in /etc/defaults/rc.conf .

tcp.restrict_rst restricts emitting of RSTs only if it is believed
that the system is currently under the SYN flood attack (the amount
of previously emitted RSTs is too high), while tcp.blackhole totally
disables emitting of RSTs (see blackhole(4) and LINT for details).

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Oracle Developer/DBA,
ru@sunbay.com		Sunbay Software AG,