Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 2007 10:20:31 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        dr2867@pacbell.net
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PING: Someone on the core team. (Modem Problem)

In message: <45D57B29.2050408@pacbell.net>
            Daniel Rudy <dr2867@pacbell.net> writes:
: At about the time of 2/15/2007 12:14 AM, Peter Jeremy stated the following:
: > On 2007-Feb-14 00:27:36 -0800, Daniel Rudy <dr2867@pacbell.net> wrote:
: >> Changing the slot did help.  I moved it from slot 3 to slot 1.  But, now
: >> it's dropping characters with a port speed of 57600, and I am also
: >> getting irq overrun errors from the kernel too now.
: >
: > This is not good.  Interrupt latency is a bit of a sore point but the
: > FIFO trigger level is 8 bytes so getting SILO overflows implies a
: > latency of >1.38msec.  Does sio4 report as [FAST] in the dmesg?
:
: No, it does not report as fast.  I changed the /boot/device.hints file
: and commented out all the sio devices, since all the serial ports on the
: system are disabled anyways.  This is the only one that is up and running.
:
: Here is the verbose dmesg from a reboot that I did just now:
:
: sio0: Reserved 0x100 bytes for rid 0x14 type 4 at 0xd400
: sio0: configured irq 17 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
: sio0: port may not be enabled
: sio0: irq maps: 0xcb9 0xcb9 0xcb9 0xcb9
: sio0: <Lucent kermit based PCI Modem> port
: 0xd400-0xd4ff,0xd800-0xd8ff,0xdc00-0xdc07 mem 0xeb105000-0xeb1050ff
:  irq 17 at device 9.0 on pci0
: sio0: type 16550A
:
: What I don't understand is why it keeps saying that "configured irq 17
: not in bitmap of probed irqs 0"...  What exactly does that mean?

IRQ 17 was configured for the sio device.  The sio probe provokes an
interrupt and then reads the interrupt mask.  When it read it, the
mask was '0' meaning nothing was interrupting...

Warner