Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 2001 07:32:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <danm@prime.gushi.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   vinum

Okay, I've been at this the better part of the night, and reading the
mailing list doesn't seem to help.

I'm pertty much at this point:

I need to label a partition for vinum.  From what I can gather from
Greg's postings the disk does not have to have any partitions on it, nor
does it have to have any slices labeled.  All it seems to need is
disklabel -e.

>>> At this point I have not done anything to the disk's (like newfs or
>>> /stand/sysinstall) they are low-level formatted only.
>>
>> That's all you need.  I'm assuming that you're using an older version
>> of FreeBSD.  Do 'disklabel -e da0' and it should work.

(in my case it's ad4 and ad6, but...)

# /dev/ad4:
type: unknown
disk: amnesiac
label: fictitious
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 63
tracks/cylinder: 16
sectors/cylinder: 1008
cylinders: 39693
sectors/unit: 40011300
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0           # milliseconds
track-to-track seek: 0  # milliseconds
drivedata: 0

8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  c: 40011300        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 -
39693*)

---End

Now I've also seen the vinum docs say that partition C is not usable, as
it refers to the entire disk.  Well, there aren't any others there.

Here's the funny part.  I've tried creating FreeBSD partitions on the
disks (but never labeled them) using /stand/sysinstall.  The above did not
change at all.

Even if I make no changes to the file, I get:

disklabel: Operation not supported by device
re-edit the label? [y]:

Greg, help please!

Thanks,

Dan Mahoney

--

"Don't try to out-wierd me.  I get stranger things than you free with my
breakfast cereal."

-Button seen at I-CON XVII (and subsequently purchased)