Date:      Fri, 3 May 2002 17:58:20 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Steven Lake <raiden@shell.core.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Ping of death?

	I've got one box that's got absolutely horrible access speed to
the net but it's on a T1 line and no other machine is sharing the line.
Telco has tested the line and sees nothing wrong but were unable to do a
bandwidth or data test to see if it's just traffic or not.

	The line should be pushing the full 1.544mbps, but I'm barely able
to scrape 30k out of it.  Any machine that connects to it goes through the
roof on the processor useage and dogs out.  So I'm suspect of a possible
ping of death, but I wanted to rule out the local equipment first.  But
since anything connecting to it to test this is gagged it's impossible to
do any tests.

	Does anyone have a way to monitor incoming traffic to find out if
you're being hit with a dos attack or should I ring telco again and have
them do a test on the T1 line to find the source?