Date:      Mon, 25 Jun 2007 15:08:53 +1000
From:      Lawrence Stewart <lstewart@room52.net>
To:        Ivan Voras <ivoras@fer.hr>
Cc:        James Healy <jhealy@swin.edu.au>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Writing a plain text file to disk from kernel space

Ivan Voras wrote:
> Lawrence Stewart wrote:
>
>> I'll have a play around and report back to the list what I find for
>> archival purposes.
>
> Please do, and also consider writing a short and instructive tutorial
> on it! Many people have asked this same question without a
> to-the-point answer.
Hi all,

Finally managed to wrap up the code and documentation for the little
module I've been working on at work. We've released the SIFTR
(Statistical Information For TCP Research) code under a BSD licence, and
hope some of you may find it useful. It's a tool mostly aimed at the TCP
research community, but perhaps someone out there might find another use
for all or part of the code. We've also made a prototype module (named
filewriter) available that specifically demonstrates file writing from
within the kernel. It should hopefully provide a useful reference
implementation for anyone wanting to write files from within the kernel.

As promised, we've also made a technical report available that documents
what we learnt whilst transitioning from noob kernel hackers to guys
that have a (partial) clue. The report is certainly a useful reference
for us and people working at our research centre. We hope it will also
be a useful reference for the community to point people at who are new
to kernel hacking. The report's title is "An Introduction to FreeBSD 6
Kernel Hacking" and has been released as Centre for Advanced Internet
Architectures Technical Report 070622A.

The code distributions and technical report can be grabbed from
http://caia.swin.edu.au/urp/newtcp/ under the "Tools" and "Papers"
sections respectively.

Many thanks to all of you who helped us make it to the finishing post
with your invaluable information and insights.

If you find a use for the code or any bugs in the code/documentation,
we'd be very happy to hear from you.

Cheers,
Lawrence

PS Is there anywhere else other than hackers@, net@, fs@ and doc@ that
might be interested in this information?