Date:      Mon, 05 Feb 2001 03:07:35 +0100
From:      "Rogier R. Mulhuijzen" <drwilco@drwilco.net>
To:        "John Telford" <j.telford@sympatico.ca>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Firewalling a PPPoE, any easy workaround to MTU on lan  stations?

I'm still new to FreeBSD development, and not an authorative source for
answers, but let me try to answer anyway =)

At 21:53 4-2-01 -0500, John Telford wrote:
>Hmm my timing for this topic seems right on :)
>Since I ran out of disk space trying to update to -stable this afternoon
>(now that's another topic for another day "Why so much space to keep up
>with -stable, when /stand/sysinstall can do an inplace update ?")

Because you're using source. Read the keeping -stable and -current part of
the FAQ/handbook to determine if you want to or not.

If I'm not mistaken there are also snapshots of either you can install like
a normal release...

>So should a throw another drive in this thing and go -stable or not ?

If you're up to it. Remember -current is a development version and will
break often and perform poorly a lot of the time. -stable should be a lot
better but things might break unexpectedly. If you're running a non-vital
server you can run -stable to help us find minor things that are wrong.

If you're running a vital server stick to -RELEASE because that's basically
-STABLE after a feature freeze and a code freeze (to allow for some heavy
testing and bugfixes only).

Personally I run -CURRENT on my laptop, -STABLE on my home gateway box and
-RELEASE on servers at work.

>What does MFC'd mean ?

Merged From Current. Something is developed under -CURRENT and then merged
back into -STABLE (usually)

Hope that answers your questions.