Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 2002 14:15:02 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "M. L. Dodson" <bdodson@scms.utmb.edu>
To:        mark@grondar.za
Cc:        baka@elvis.mu.org, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: An odd scripting language

On 16 Jul, Mark Murray wrote:
>> However, I am intruiged by your assertion here. It implies that perhaps
>> a good direction to try would be to build a scripting language that is
>> tied to FreeBSD, but contains elements that makes it easy to pick up
>> by people who are already comfortable with the popular scripting languages.
>
> A solution here may be to pick up an earlier scripting language
> that has been abandoned, but is nevertheless useful. I'm specifically
> thinking of Perl4, but I imagine that TCL, the lisps, the BASICs
> and other older "Toy" languages may yield up a useful base for an
> OS-specific scripting language.
>
>> This is an interesting concept. Fraught with problems, but nonetheless
>> interesting.
>
> Yes. _Very_ interesting :-)

Icon, Icon, Icon! :-)  http://www.cs.arizona.edu/icon/

Professionally designed (by the inventor of snobol), right kind of
license, ability to do X graphics, if need be, but not required, even
better than perl in string processing (IMO).

--
M. L. Dodson                                bdodson@scms.utmb.edu
409-772-2178                                FAX: 409-772-1790