Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 2007 18:19:56 -0600
From:      Peter Pluta <peter@placidpublishing.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   rsync issues

I have a win2k3 server running as my rsync server. I also have a freebsd
web server being the rsync client. A shell script runs every night at
5am (it's below).

Shell script:

#!/bin/sh
. `dirname $0`/settings.inc
destination=**.***.***.***::backup
if [ "$TERM" ]; then verbose=-v; fi
rsync $verbose -azR --delete-after /usr/local/etc/       $destination
rsync $verbose -azR --delete-after /usr/local/lib/sasl2/ $destination
rsync $verbose -azR --delete-after /var/cron/            $destination
rsync $verbose -azR --delete-after /root/                $destination
rsync $verbose -azR --delete-after /etc/                 $destination
rsync $verbose -azR --delete-after --exclude httpd-*.log $wwwDir/
$destination

After it runs for 5 minutes it throws this:
rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 16385 bytes [sender]: Broken
pipe (32)
rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer (54)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(613)
[sender=2.6.9]

Dmesg on the box only shows this:
em0: promiscuous mode enabled
em0: promiscuous mode disabled

But that is probably pretty old.

What can the problem be? backups are really important to me and they
don't currently work as the transfer times out after the first few files.

Anyone got an idea? Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Peter