Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 2000 23:49:49 +0200
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.0 CD, crypto and SSH

Mike Smith wrote:

> > > Er, why not just install the rsaref port, like it tells you to?
> >
> > Ehm... I am not in the US, and my rsaref port's License says:
> >
> >     6.   You can't send or transmit (or cause to be transmitted)
> >           RSAREF outside the United States or Canada, or give it to
> >           anyone who is not a U.S. or Canadian citizen or doesn't have
> >           a "green card."
>
> You'll note that a goodly number of the MASTER_SITES for rsaref aren't in
> the USA or Canada...

But surely they do not hold that library. After all, that would
necessarily mean that the lib *has* been transmitted from the
US in a blatant violation of said licence. Downloading it from
such a site would make one an accessory after the fact (or
whatever the heck the correct expression is ;). It would turn
one into an accomplice. In fact inciting people to commit
illegal acts is a crime in and of itself! <g>.

If the two libs work as advertised and without any legal hassle
whatsoever, then what the blazes is wrong with making one port
so that it decides which of the two to download depending on
the content of USA_RESIDENT.

Roelof