Date:      Fri, 18 May 2001 21:12:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        david@banning.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: procmail newbie question

On Thu, 17 May 2001, David Banning wrote:

> My ISP holds my mailbox and I have a dialup connection
> to the net.
>
> The mail sent has the same domain but all different sorts of
> address names eg. david@skytrackercanada.com, john@skytrackercanada.com,
> sales@skytrackercanada.com but they all go to one mailbox,
> which is david@skytrackercanada.com
>
> I would like to load these to my machine with fetchmail or popclient,
> and then separate them with procmail.
>
> My question is; where and how do I load the messages with popclient
> or fetchmail so that procmail can find them and sort them?
>
> By default all mail loaded through pop goes to the /var/mail/$USER
> of the person who did the pop. I can tell popclient to send it elsewhere,
> but where?  Where does procmail want it?

I think you are saying that your ISP sends all mail for your domain
to one mailbox and that each message may be addressed to one of
several users on your local machine? If so, all you need is
fetchmail and sendmail. It delivers the mail to port 25 on your
local machine and sendmail delivers it to the user's mailboxes.
Procmail is not needed unless you want to filter the mail by
something other than user name, like subject.

I used to do this when my company was on a dial-up to the 'net.
Worked very nicely.

-Jim Durham