Date:      Thu, 28 Feb 2013 19:54:18 +0100
From:      Gabor Kovesdan <gabor@FreeBSD.org>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>
Cc:        freebsd-i18n@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: patch for in tree iconv

On 2013.02.28. 19:48, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> It's because we generated the ref w/ //TRANSLIT, and our iconv doesn't
> have an advanced set of characters for transliteration...  Heck, it doesn't
> handle the difference between //TRANSLIT and //IGNORE...
>
> -0x00A0 = 0x0020	Non-braking space -> space
> -0x00A1 = 0x0021	inverted exclamation mark -> exclamation mark
> -0x00A2 = 0x0063	cent sign -> c
> -0x00A3 = 0x626C	pound sign -> lb
>
> I'm "convinced" that the ref is right for proper transliteration...
>
> So, do we need transliteration support?
Ok, now I remember about //TRANSLIT. The default choice of BSD iconv was
to use transliteration by default so I followed this convention. And
once we have it, it should be as complete as possible, imo. Personally,
I would prefer making transliteration optional but that requires heavier
changes to iconv.

Gabor