Date:      Mon, 30 Jul 2001 20:24:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Kellers <timothyk@server1.wallnet.com>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PERC 3 Dell 2500 and FreeBSD 4.3 stable

Thanks for the reply.  The PERC is a PERC 3 Di.  I did set up the
container before I tried booting the CD-ROM (4.2), when that didn't work,
I took a look through the archive at FreeBSD.org and found that the PERC 3
drivers (aac, anyway) weren't MFC'd until some days after 4.3 RELEASE.

I checked the GENERIC kernel file on one of my other FreeBSD boxes (a PE
2400, no raid) and found that the PERC 2/3 options were in the kernel;
that box was cvsuped and a full build was done on July 22.

I downloaded the kern.flp and MFS.flp from FreeBSD.org and made disk
images to make sure I was booting (I think) the latest disk.  But even
though I had configured the container (RAID 5, 3 36 GB harddrives) and
reconfigured the container (1 big 108 GB drives), the OS FreeBSD 4.3 boot
disks, couldn't find a hard drive.  I went into the Bios, changed the RAID
from the default to SCSI, and the OS saw the 3 36 Gig drives.  Good old
(yech) NT 4.0 on the Dell Management software boot CD, saw the RAID just
fine, so I still think something is odd with the drivers.

I'm not certain how to create a boot floppy with the Generic compiled
kernel in it, so some guidance on how to do it, or further pointers on my
folly in the PERC configuration, would be much appreciated.

Tim