Date:      Mon, 5 Jul 1999 08:27:59 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <jeremyp@gsmx07.alcatel.com.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MMX

Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk> wrote:
>Here is the almost proper way to determine if a CPU has MMX support.
>I say _alomost_ because it uses the CPU-ID instruction.
>This instruction is not on 386 machines or some early 486 machines.

The Intel 486 manual (that I have at home) includes `official' code
for determining what processor (8086 thru pre-CPUID 80486) you are
running on.  I'd suspect a later version would include testing for
the presence of CPUID.  I believe the code will run in user-mode.

That said, I think the correct approach is a hook to allow a user-mode
program to query the kernel (which has already determined what CPU
it's running on).  I'm not sure whether this should be an extension
of an existing syscall, or a sysctl variable.

Peter