Date:      Mon, 9 Mar 1998 00:27:14 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams), dima@tejblum.dnttm.rssi.ru, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vnode_pager: *** WARNING *** stale FS code in system

> > In short, you are attempting to make local media FS's the 'base class'
> > for all FS (using C++ vernacular).  As Base Classes, they must
> > implement/define *everything* for all classes, and that all other
> > 'stackable' FS's can inherit from the base class.
>
> Yes.  This is different from interfaces. which are allowed to be "pure
> virtual" base classes.  I wasn't sure about using OO terminology.  8-(.

Bingo.  I didn't want to say that for fear of complicating the simple
definition.  As I understand it, the whole VFS framework is an attempt
to OOPify (is that a word) the FS interface.

I also think using OO teminology is pretty safe, since most anyone here
has done their share of programming in an OOP language.  (Now, whether
or not they enjoyed it is another story. :)

Nate