Date:      Sun, 22 Oct 2006 19:48:47 -0400
From:      Matthew Pope <mpope@teksavvy.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org,  freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org
Subject:   Re: problems after rebuild of 5.5 stable

Lowell Gilbert wrote:

>Matthew Pope <mpope@teksavvy.com> writes:
>
>[...]
>

>>for temp file for many of the prompts.  Now my 5.5 kernel boots, but
>>there are a number of messages of the form:
>>source_rc_confs: not found
>>$ipnat_enable is not set properly - see rc.conf(5)
>>$ipfs_enable is not set properly - see rc.conf(5)
>>etc....
>>

>[...]
>

>>I later read in the mailing list that someone had a simliar problem
>>and solved it by re-running the mergemaster step.  I tried that too,
>>and this time I selected <default> answer to all the prompts about
>>conflicts.
>>

>The default operation in mergemaster is to do nothing, so if you're
>going to choose the default the whole way, you might as well skip
>running mergemaster at all.

Yes, well put.  That clarified I was in fact consuming resources in a
less than optimal way :-)

>pay attention to the changes.  On files you haven't modified, you will
>be able to (i)nstall the new versions of those files, but otherwise
>you will need to (m)erge them.

Ok, I tried that but my system is to far gone.  Close to 100 environment
vars are missing and if I jam them all into rc.conf it will be a mess,
especially since I would be guessing at the appropriate values for the
vars.

My next step is to start from scratch (as Albi suggested.)
Unfortuntely, even with ipfw set to open, I am still getting no route to
host when I try and ping my gateway.

It was always pingable in the past, and I've checked the cable into my
new-ish switch and all seems fine, with green lights.
The result of a route -n is in another virtual terminal and I can't copy
and paste, but it lists the headers and then nothing for the details,
i.e. no routes are in the routing table at all.  Further suggestions
welcome, and thanks for your help so far.
Sincerely,
Matthew