Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 1999 16:45:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   revisiting Motif policy in ports

Hackers,

I've submitted a port of the latest release from the Hungry
Programmers of their LessTif effort.  In testing, lesstif-0.88.1,
I have compiled nedit, xmcd, amaya, xmaddressbook, llnlxdir, ddd,
and few other items in the ports collection.  These ports all
work fairly well with 0.88.1.  Although the Hungry Programmers
will state that LessTif is still in a development stage, it seems
to be an acceptable alternative if some one does not have Motif
installed on their system.  Thus, it may be time to revisit the
policy of HAVE_MOTIF in /etc/make.conf.

Currently, if HAVE_MOTIF is not defined, then the building of
a port exits with a message like "ddd-3.1.3 requires motif".
I think it might be appropriate to suggest that LessTif is
a viable alternative.

Opinions?

--
Steve