Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2001 18:16:42 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [OT] Spam from Windriver - how should I react?

[Moved from -questions to -chat.]

Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com> types:
> First off, the message technically falls into the UBE category, since I
> never opted-in to receive general messages from Windriver, or
> FreeBSDMall (which is what the message is about).

UBE? Not UCE? In any case, it looks like they were sending it to their
customers: people they have a previous relationship with.  Most of the
anti-direct-marketing laws I'm familiar with provide that
loophole.

Just because you get email sent to a list of people that you didn't
opt to be on doesn't mean you got spammed. Even if it's business
mail. Sure, it's a form letter. But it was sent to an existing
customer - didn't it have your proper name on it, not just an email
address? The reply address works. It went direct from a machine owned
by Wind River - a bsdi machine - to my mail hub. It's target at people
who are - or were - interested in FreeBSD.  None of the things that
characterize spam are there, except that you didn't ask for it, and
it's from a business.

It's the same kind of thing as an uncle of mine who added me to his
alias to forward jokes the first time he's seen them - never mind I
saw most of them when they were posted to rec.humor.funny in the
'80s. Since I like him, I tend to just delete them. For businesses -
and almost everyone who does business on the web does this kind of
thing - I add a filter to my .qmail file so they get bounces.  For
spam, I complain about it. Always.

> Secondly, the return address is "FreeBSDCustomerRelations@windriver.com"
> which seems a little odd to me. Since when is Windriver in charge of
> FreeBSD Customer Relations? Technically, are they anything other than
> another supporter of the project?

I think that technically, you've got it. On the other hand, they now
sell - well, they own a company that sells - a product that's called
FreeBSD. Having a maildrop for dealing with customers of that product
isn't unreasonable. It's sort of like if Corel had a
linuxcustomerrelations@corel.com, for dealing with the linux
distribution they sell and/or give away.

> The email then goes on to say "Wind River picked up two software product
> lines from BSDi: the proprietary BSD/OS and the open-source FreeBSD."
> While the email later explains that Windriver does not (and can not)
> _own_ FreeBSD, the intial sentence seems rather ominous.

There statement is true. Walnut Creek initiated a software product
line around FreeBSD: subscriptions, 4-disk releases, the complete
package, and the desktop package. That's all software, and it
certainly looks like a product line to me. BSDi acquired that product
line with Walnut Creek, and Wind River got it with BSDi.

> The fact that they've attached the rest as a "rider" is what I'm
> objecting to, I suppose.

That's no worse than Walnut Creek - and then BSDi - throwing catalogs
in with every thing I order from them. I even wind up paying shipping
with all of it. It sure beats what happened with 4.2, when some
unknown percentage of people didn't get theirs, and didn't get any
notification unless they called to ask about it.

> Maybe I'm over-reacting a lot with regard to this subject, but it sure
> looks like Windriver has compromised FreeBSDMall's contact information
> to spam me, and hidden a brief FreeBSDMall message inside the spam to
> make it seem legitimate.

I think you're over-reacting. From the evidence I have, FreeBSDMall is
now owned by Wind River. Since they own the contact list, they can't
really compromise it. This company that was distributing FreeBSD
distributions is under new management. That generally means new
practices, some of which you may not like.

If that's the case, try sending a polite request in reply to the mail
asking that they take you off whatever list they're using. If they
refuse, then it's time to get upset.

If they make a habit of this - doing it more than once a year or so -
I'll probably ask that they take me off the list as well.

	<mike