Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 1995 19:20:20 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   About diskless & nfs /usr support

As usual I am fighting with diskless support...

My setup would include:

- a readonly root partition on the server
- a readonly /usr partition on the server
- a writable /home partition on the server
- an mfs partition for all the writable files usually on the root
  partition (/var, /tmp, maybe /dev, /etc)
- swap on a dos file

What I would like to come out is an "rc" and "netstart" files which
are equally good for DISKLESS, nfs-mounted /usr (say CLIENT), and
a full local system (say SERVER).

1) What is the best way to distinguish between a DISKLESS system
   and a system with a local root ? Parsing /etc/fstab, or testing if
   hostname is set when entering /etc/rc ? This is needed in
   /etc/rc, where we have the sequence

	umount -a >/dev/null 2>&1

	mount -a -t nonfs

which probably doesn't work if / is nfs-mounted, where we need
only mount -a.

2) in /etc/netstart there are, among others, invocations to sysctl,
   routed, gated. These are all in /usr. We should either move them
   in /etc/rc, or move the "mount -t nfs" in /etc/netstart.

	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522