Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 2002 00:40:35 +0200
From:      Mark Pearce <mark@netchat.co.za>
To:        Richard Fairfield <rcf@ms.washington.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: maintaining multiple machines

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002 13:16:08 -0700 (PDT)
Richard Fairfield <rcf@ms.washington.edu> grunted:

> Hello all:
>
> A couple of months ago I installed FreeBSD 4.5 on two PCs. Since then,
> I've been occasionally using CVSup and portupgrade to keep these machines
> up to date, tracking RELENG_4. Here's my general proceedure:
>
> 	run cvsup
> 	"make buildworld"
> 	make and install a new kernel
> 	reboot to single-user mode
> 	"make installworld"
> 	run mergemaster and deal with a varying number of config files
> 	back to multi-user mode
> 	upgrade packages, which itself involves many steps.
>
> I'd now like to run FreeBSD on several more machines, but the above
> steps are really quite time consuming, and I don't think that they
> scale very well. So, I was hoping to do this work on only one machine
> and then use rdist or, perhaps, rsync to keep the other 'n' machines
> up to date. The basic plan, patterned after what I've done for years
> with other Unix OS's:
>
> 	Share /usr/local via NFS
> 	Share /usr/src via NFS
> 	Ditribute everything else via rdist (or rsync)
> 	Perform kernel upgrades manually on each machine

HI

It might be easier just to share /usr/ports or /usr/ports/distfiles for your ports, but for your sources, just share /usr/src and /usr/obj, that way you can do a buildworld and buildkernel on one box, and just mount the nfs shares and do a installworld and installkernel and mergemaster on the other box's you are maintaining.

This works for me, saves time as only 1 box is actually compiling and updating.