Date:      Sat, 24 Mar 2001 18:38:31 +1000
From:      "Tim McCullagh" <timbo@halenet.com.au>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   dlopen error FreeBSD 4.2 Release

Hello Folks

Each time I test my pam installation  I get the following error  message

Mar 22 09:15:39  httpsd: unable to dlopen(/usr/lib/pam_unix.so)
Mar 22 09:15:39  httpsd: [dlerror: /usr/lib/pam_unix.so: Undefined
symbol  "pam_get_item"]
Mar 22 09:15:39  httpsd: adding faulty module: /usr/lib/pam_unix.so

I did see a message in the archives which suggested

>>Maybe the runtime linker is confused
> > using a dlopened module from another dlopened module.
> > Try running httpd with the environment `LD_PRELOAD' set
> > to `/usr/lib/libpam.so.1' and let me know the results.

How would I do this?

Has anyone come across this and been able to solve it?

Thanks Heaps

Tim