Date:      Tue, 09 May 2000 10:04:03 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>
Cc:        Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>, kris@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rc.d startup scripts

Kenneth Wayne Culver wrote:

> Yeah, I was just joking, I kinda like some things about SVR4, but I still
> think it would be nice to keep the option of using some of the regular rc
> scripts that we have now. Imagine the confusion of the people that have
> ONLY used FreeBSD when they go in and see rc.d and all it's
> scripts. Personally I kinda like the rc.d stuff better myself, but I'm
> just thinking about the average user.

	What does the average user do with the rc scripts? (BTW, I'm not being
combative here, just using your letter as an opportunity...) In my
outline we would still have /etc/rc.conf[.local], which is what the
average user interacts with now. It's what happens behind the scenes
that I want to change. The way that the various services get started.
Instead of the arcane, confusing system of rc* files we have now (most
of which grew out of necessity, don't get me wrong) we would have a
system that could be used at startup, and then also used while the
system is running to upgrade and downgrade individual bits, or groups of
bits.

Doug
--
        "Live free or die"
		- State motto of my ancestral homeland, New Hampshire