Date:      Thu, 26 Mar 98 07:37:10 -0500
From:      Mark Gregory Salyzyn <mark@bohica.net>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DPT and ECC memory

In article <19980323193054.62953@clifford.inch.com>, you wrote:
>Is there anything special about the DPT ECC memory that they sell,
>apart from it being ECC?  DPT lists the price at over $1100 for 16M,
>but my vendor is telling me that he sells 32M of 70 pin ECC memory for
>around $70.  Why the disparity?

DPT is the only company producing ECC SIMMs in any quantity from
what I understand, it is a specialized market, really tailored to the needs
of the data conscious. not sure if the price quote you got was very accurate
though.

You can use non-parity SIMMs on some DPT cards if you feel you are
somewhat fault tolerant. Personally, I use parity memory, works fine. You
can not mix and match memory types.

I seriously doubt 32M/$70 for ECC, he must have confused it with EDO
memory. I would be interested in the name of your vendor just in case I
have a mistaken view.

Sincerely -- Mark Salyzyn
	My opinions are my own.