Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 2002 22:12:45 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Bart Smit <bit@signature.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   usb flashcard reader/writer

Hi,

New USB peripheral doesn't work immediately. Probably my ignorance, but I
don't know where to look.

It's a SanDisk ImageMate (model SDDR-75) dual card reader for CF and SM
cards. Is detected properly by my recent (Oct 15) RELENG_4 system:

da1 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da1: <SanDisk ImageMate CF-SM 0100> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
da1: 650KB/s transfers
da1: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present

Last line makes sense since at that point no cards are inserted. My
problem is that I don't understand how to refer to any flash cards that I
insert. Somehow da1 should harbor 2 separate mass storage devices (on
different LUN's perhaps?) but for starters I don't see anything happen at
all when I insert or remove cards. I tried to rescan and look at the scsi
bus with camcontrol. How is this supposed to work, if at all?

I have a USB flash drive that can simply be seen on /dev/da1c but this
"dual card" beast obviously has te be different. But how?

--B