Date:      Thu, 08 Apr 1999 17:43:35 +0900
From:      NAKAGAWA Yoshihisa <y-nakaga@nwsl.mesh.ad.jp>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Ted Faber <faber@ISI.EDU>, Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any success with CirrusLogic 6729/6730???

> This was my idea about a 'boot' config line.  The problems with this
> solution is:
>
> 1) It assumes there is one PCIC controller.  (The existing code has the
>    same problem)
> 2) It not 'boot-time' configurable.  It requires you to edit a file and
>    then reboot the box before the change can take place.

PAO people thinking PCIC problem below:

#Thanks nomads-ML people translate this message.

- PCIC is an ISA device. PCIC handles bus, yet the bus is not the
bus PCIC belongs to. Please note that a PCIC is an ISA device and
a bridge between ISA bus and PC Card bus. Also, if you see codes
on NetBSD, bus dependent code and handling bridge is different.

- sysctl is the last way to go. It can't work unless the module is
loaded after boot.  There are also other problems loading the
driver with current KLD.

- User configuration method dependent on KLD or boot loader is
wrong solution. It should be independent from them.

- It is clearly wrong to specify the management irq by sysctl.

- It is clear that you should consider multiple PCICs. Machines
with more than one PCIC are not singular.  Any code that does not
take the fact into account is apparently wrong.

- It is a bad way to handle resources by hard coding.  A way for
the user to change the resources is must.  UserConfig is the
available solution, now.

- The method used by PAO is the right way to go, although native
probe/attach codes for PCI PCIC and CardBus controllers is yet to
be written.

--
NAKAGAWA, Yoshihisa
	y-nakaga@nwsl.mesh.ad.jp