Date:      Sat, 10 Feb 2001 14:06:01 +0100 (CET)
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        database@freebsd.org
Subject:   ODBC and StarOffice

Dear Sirs.

Well, I regret bothering you again with this question, but it is
very important to me to get an answer about a suitable solution.

Background
----------

We use several tbales for our meteorological research on a MySQL
server (MySQL 3.23.32). The server is a FreeBSD SMP machine running
FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE. So far, the server operating system and the data=
base are perfect.

Our clients are a mixture from Windows 2000 and FreeBSD clients and
a handful Linux boxes. All FreeBSD systems are running FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE.
Mostly all Windows machines use StarOffice 5.2 to access the database
server via MyODBC 2.50.36. Many use M$ Office and MyODBC.
The FreeBSD boxes have the StarOffice 5.2 port installed, running under
Linux emulation.
MyODBC is compiled against unixODBC version 2.0.4.

Problem
-------

Main problem is: no one of the FreeBSD clients using StarOffice is
able to gain access to the database server via ODBC. When trying to
select ODBC in StarOffice's database facility it returns an error
that says to check installation about libodbc.so. When trying again
the same procedure immediately after the first try it reports the same
error, but refers to a file ".". It seems to me that StarOffice can not find
the suitable ODBC driver or its ini-file, but the user who uses StarOffice
has already a proper set up .odbc.ini file.

I was told to use a Linux MyODBC/unixODBC installation due the fact StarOffice
is Linux code. But I do not find suitable rpm archives around here to try this.
Does anyone out here run StarOffice successfully under FreeBSD with an ODBC
driver installed to connect a SQL server?

Thanks in advance,

Oliver

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@mail.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institut fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinensaal)