Date:      Fri, 22 Dec 2000 14:49:57 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Mark Rowlands <mark.rowlands@minmail.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sharing disks between Win32 and FreeBSD

Mark Rowlands <mark.rowlands@minmail.net> types:
> On Thursday 21 December 2000 19:51, Stuart Morse wrote:
> > Hi All,
> > I will be developing a Java servlet application that will run under
> > FreeBSD, and I would like to use Borland JBuilder to achieve this.
> > We own a Win32 version of JBuilder, so the programming itself will
> > occur on a Win32 PC. It would be nice to be able to generate my object
> > code directly to the FreeBSD machine using a shared disk. Does
> > FreeBSD support NETBUI, or should I use NFS? What are some of the
> > pros and cons?
> >
> samba ....is an smb (cifs) server for unix)
> pros	free and it works
> cons	none that I am aware of
> NFS
> You will need to run a client on your pc
> pros	none that I am aware of
> cons	You will need to run a client on your pc

The security implications make me prefer NFS:

SMB clients are provided with every Windows box, so every script
kiddie has the software to access your server if they get through your
security. Also, many smb servers are vulnerable to being sent OOB
data, which crashed every release of Win95 I tested it on, as well as
samba running on non-protected OS's (though the versions I checked
were of the ~96/97 vintage).

NFS is also notoriously insecure, but the script kiddies have to get
it from somewhere other than a windows install disk. Recent versions
will run over TCP to provide better security, but I haven't
investigated why/how.

I recommend not running either one where someone you don't trust can
get to your wire.

	<mike
Independent WWW/Unix/FreeBSD consultant,	email for more information.