Date:      Tue, 04 Feb 1997 10:16:25 -0500
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@torrentnet.com>
To:        Josh MacDonald <jmacd@CS.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: g++, STL and -frepo on FreeBSD-2.2-Beta

> Clearly, you have no idea what you're talking about.  You should be a
> bit more careful with your use of "clearly", it makes me wonder how
> much of the rest of your mail to this list (which I rarely understand)
> is correct.

Since Terry responded to something I had posted, I feel obliged to
respond.

His use of `clearly' made his erroneous response a bit amusing so I
didn't mind it at all!  Terry made a mistake.  Big deal.  We all do
(like my mixing up his response with someone else's).  Most of us
want to make the most efficient use of whatever free time we have
and at times we respond without reading other people's messages
carefully enough.  When someone else does so and makes a mistake,
it is best to
  a) keep silent,
  b) correct them gently (because you can be in their place in future!), or
  c) take the discussion beyond just a simple correction.

Generalizations like `you have no idea what you are talking about'
*clearly* do not belong on a technical group.

Now it would be nice if all of Terry's posts were crystal clear --
I confess I understand may be 80% of what he writes (even when I
think I agree with what he says I am not 100% sure :-) -- but his
contributions do enrich various discussions and I often learn new
things from his posts.

On the g++, STL, -frepo front, the good news is that once I stopped
doing things the hardway (that is, once I started using the FreeBSD
g++ without any fancy flags), the program actually compiled and
linked.  The bad news is that it segfaults on even simple Verilog
module definitions.  So for now this mini project has been ^Z'ed
(put on hold).  Thanks to all the people who responded with helpful
hints (even if wrong:-).

-- bakul