Date:      Mon, 29 Apr 1996 18:45:51 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, david@fgate.flevel.co.uk, questions@freebsd.org, graham@flevel.co.uk
Subject:   Re: Laptops and removable drives

> > > That really depends on your budget &c.  The Toshiba Satellite Pro 410CS
> > > is a pretty good buy, and the new Sharp PC9000 looks good too.  Both of
> > > these will set you back around $6K (australian) for a usable configuration.
> > >
> > > The biggest drawback with laptops is the displays - only the latest and
> > > most expensive have 1027x768; you're looking at over $8K to put one on
> > > the road.
> >
> > $8k US or $8k OZ?
>
> $8K Australian.  Having quoted one price in AUS$, why would I change?

Because you did AUS$ to US$ conversions right before, so if you left
your BC in the same monetary base, it would have been US$.  8-).

US$ are more... given the exchange ratio, it means a US person can
get 1024x768 for ~$6000 US.

> > *WHO* has 1024x768 (besides the Tadpole SPARCBook)?
>
> The new Toshiba Tecra 7xx series, the Sharp PC9070 (think that's the
> right number), the old Tadpole Pentium system just to name three.
> Acme Portables have a luggable with a 10x7 display due in a month or
> two as well.

-- I went looking on the web, and couldn't find better than 800x600
   on the Tecra -- admittedly, Toshiba's WWW page is broken.

-- I couldn't find Sharp at all.  I found some reviews about them
   putting out some bad products ("sharp computer" in a Yahoo search).

-- It looks like Tadpole is no longer selling 1024x768?  All they had
   listed was 800x600.

I saw the luggables, but I doubt you could use them on a plane...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.