Date:      Sat, 11 Nov 2000 08:50:23 -0800
From:      Drew Tomlinson <drewt@writeme.com>
To:        bbayorgeon@new.rr.com, 'Mike Meyer' <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: What Is config> During Boot?

Good eyes!  As I said in step 5, based on someone else's thought that both
using d8000 was a problem, I edited my kernel config file and recompiled.
But because I wrote my plea for help after I completed all of the steps I
described, dmesg output was not current for that step and I missed editing
it.  So in other words, it didn't change from d8000 to d0000.

I chose d0000 as I assume this has something to do with address space like
what you see in your BIOS setting for shadow availability.  And as I recall,
the space either started with 0000 or 8000.  It was just a try.

> This could be the cause of:
>
> > ed1: device timeout
>

> > What is "config>" and should there be something there for ed1
> as well?  Is
> > this my problem?  I'd appreciate any help, thoughts, nudges,
> etc.  I'm new
> > to both Unix and FBSD so I may be missing something really
> basic.
>
> No, you don't really need to config> ed1 if is set up in the
> kernel config
> file correctly and so compiled.
>
> > device          ed1     at isa? port 0x260 irq 11 iomem 0xd8000
>
> One problem is though, like I said both cards trying to use
> the d8000 memory space.  Change one of these to d0000 or
> something.

I did try that in step 5 but still could not communicate with the card.

> the puzzling thing is why do you get this:
>
> > ed1 at port 0x260-0x27f iomem 0xd0000 irq 11 on isa0
>
> Nothing seems to be telling it to use d0000 unless it is
> adjusting this automagically?!

No magic here.  As I said above, it's because I told it to in step 5.  Sorry
for the confusion as I missed editing the output to reflect what was really
reported.

Thank you for taking the time to look this over.  If you have any other
ideas or suggestions, I'd be willing to try them.

Drew