Date:      Sun, 09 Jul 2000 14:19:02 -0700
From:      Parag Patel <parag@cgt.com>
To:        Eaglez <eaglez69@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: keyboards w/no windows keys

On Sun, 09 Jul 2000 13:56:55 PDT, Eaglez wrote:

>But for right now, is there a place
>to get old 102 key keyboards, or anything really, for
>$12 or so?

Your best-bet may be to find a local computer junk shop and browse
through their used keyboard collection.  They may not all work so buy
extras.  Given how cheap new keyboards are, this probably isn't a good
use of time or money.

www.centralcomputers.com has some cheap new keyboards for ~$11-15 -
other vendors may even have them cheaper.  Just pop out the dreaded
Windows key, or glue a custom label on top, say a drawing of a
middle-finger, raised, in front of the logo.  :)

I currently use cheap PC keyboards and use X's xmodmap command to turn
the caps-lock into a control key, and map the tilde/grave ~` key to
escape if it is in the upper-left corner.  I've also built a similar
keyboard mapping for the console.  That makes PC keyboards close enough
to the Sun/Unix keyboards for me.

>i think it'd
>have been infinatly better if they'd just done cursors
>like on the old macs, in one row or column.

Personally, I prefer an inverted-"T" layout for cursor keys.  I've kinda
gotten used to using PageUp/PageDown as well.

	-- Parag Patel