Date:      Sat, 14 Sep 1996 00:50:59 -0700
From:      hmmm <hmmm@alaska.net>
To:        Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Easy editors

> > this will probably gag a guru, but i haven't found a need
> > for that goofy stuff yet, i pray things stay that way!
>
> Gag indeed!  Mucking with the /usr/bin distribution will really confuse
> the next person who happens to use your machine!  Eyuck!
>
> I think this is probably a little nice way to do it---and best of all,
> it's on a per-user basis!
>
>         alias vi ee
>         alias ed ee
>         setenv EDITOR /usr/bin/ee
>
> If you're not a csh/compatible user, then
>
>         vi () { ee $*; }
>         ed () { ee $*; }
>         EDITOR=/usr/bin/ee; export EDITOR
>
> Next question: what the heck is ee?  I've used FreeBSD for what is
> literally years now and never heard of it---yet there it is!  The Easy
> Editor! :-)  When did this thing appear?

i made a mad dash for it as soon as i got 2.0! :)
i apologize.  aliasing is better.  you can do that with sh
also!  just add >alias "sh cmd sequence"< in profile or whatever.

actually, i think the ultimate answer to this question is JOE.
it's a unix version of the infamous Qedit for DOS.
and it's even more powerful than vi/ed.

ps.  why do i see so much of csh?  from everything i read
and hear it broken from the design end on up and it's
only benefit is a C like inequality op?