Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 2000 17:20:38 +0100
From:      Manuel Kasper <manuelk@bluewin.ch>
To:        Andrew Gould <andrewgould@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UDMA ICRC READ ERRORs

>I have installed FreeBSD 4.1 on an AMD K6/2 450MHz box
>and keep getting the following error message when I
>boot the computer:
>
>'ad0: UDMA ICRC READ ERROR blk# 4144087 retrying'
>There are more messages where the blk# is different.

I had the exact same problem with a FIC SD11 mainboard
(K7 Athlon 600) and a Maxtor HD - sometimes FreeBSD
even reported WRITE errors.
Did you try forcing it to UDMA33 to see what happens?
When I used a standard IDE cable instead to force it to
run at UDMA33 these errors went away (and IMHO UDMA33 is
enough for most HDs anyway)
UDMA66 is almost unusable on my FIC mainboard anyway,
even under Windows - thanks VIA.

Interestingly, on that board I got the same errors
in Windows 2000, reported in the system log (when using
an ATA66 cable).

Greets,

Manuel