Date:      Sun, 07 Oct 2001 20:51:57 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Don Read <dread@texas.net>
To:        groggy@iname.com
Cc:        def@groggy.anc.acsalaska.net, freebsd-questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: questions list

On 07-Oct-2001 groggy@iname.com wrote:
> i apologize for asking this question,
> as i have asked it a few times over the
> years with replies i could not:
>
> 1) find resolution to (being told my ISP wasn't doing some reverse lookup).

> 2) erased by "fetchmail" defaults.

pkg_delete  fetchmail
cd /usr/ports/mail/fetchmail
make && make install

>    (which i have since resovled by replacing "fetchmail" with a ftp script).

not good, if you value your e-mail. There's a lot of locking issues.

> FBSD 4.3
>
> freebsd-questions bounces mail back:
>
> a) when you connect with a dynamic PPP account
>    and use your local sendmail (instead of the ISP MTA).
>
> b) when you are on a private ethernet behind a "ppp -nat"
>    connection and use your machines local sendmail
>    (instead of the gateways MTA).
>
> and it's very irritating to say the least.
> i know it is for SPAM control purposes,
> but i think there are better ways
> to control spam without punishing
> legitimate emails from a) + b) above.
> ie - the "blackhole" lists (maybe - dunno - don't use it)
> or simple grep scripts looking for identifying keywords
> such as FREE! or "to be removed from" or whatever.
>
> anyway - if there is a simple technique to avoid
> mail bouncing without using remote MTAs in
> situations a) or b) above, i would like to know.
> my guess is freebsd-questions uses the sendmail
> option (or whatever MTA) to do reverse name
> lookups on the MTA sending the email - which
> personally - i think is silly and inappropriate,
> considering a) + b) above.
>
> with brief reliefs here and there, it has been
> a continuing problem for a few years for me,
> without clear and firm resolution.

Send mail from a properly reversed host ?

a. add/change the line in /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
  # "Smart" relay host (may be null)
  DS<your.ispmailserver.com>

b. get an ISP that's willing to do PTR records.
   this won't help if 'dial-up' blacklists catches on ...

> to send this i had to telnet into my ISP
> and send the mail from a remote server.
> and i do not wish to reconfigure my local
> MUA to switch between local and remote
> emailing with every email.

see above.
stubborn little 'cus, ain't you ?

Regards,
--
Don Read                                       dread@texas.net
-- It is necessary for me to learn from others' mistakes. I