Date:      Fri, 21 May 1999 16:53:42 +1000 (EST)
From:      Enno Davids <nconedd@mensa.national.com.au>
To:        graeme@echidna.com (Graeme Tait)
Cc:        enno.davids@metva.com.au, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Web Statistics break up program.

| Enno Davids wrote:
|
| > So, the middle of the loop above wants to be something like...
| >
| >                 mv ${log} ${log}"_tmp"
| >                 cp /dev/null ${log}
| >                 chown www ${log}
| >                 apachectl restart
| >                 mv ${log}"_tmp" ${ARCDIR}/${log}.${DAY}
|

| Why are the steps
|
| >                 cp /dev/null ${log}
| >                 chown www ${log}
|
| necessary?

Strictly they may not be of course. Its more of a form thing for me. When I'm
just truncating a log file (which we don't do much of these days of course)
I tend to just cp /dev/null to it, which preserves mode and ownership. That
leads to doing something similar when I recreate it from scratch, namely a
copy with a following chown and a chmod. Doing this can often save you from
odd problems when the rotate script runs as a user other than that of the
Webserver. Often such script may run as root and creating a new file with
cp or touch from that environment will often leave you with a file the
Webserver can't write to.

Enno.