Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 1995 16:56:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      bmk@dtr.com
To:        steve@cioeserv.cioe.com (Steve Ames)
Cc:        bmk@dtr.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lpd slow?

> > > I just started lpd on my freebsd almost current system. When i use
> > > lpr to print a small sample file (say /etc/rc for instance) it prints
> > > it but it is _SLOW_. It took almost an hour to print the file. I'm
> > > printing to a panason kxp-2135 printer (which is dot-matrix). Still,
> > > its not that slow a printer.
> >
> > Are you using the lpt driver with or without irq7?  If so, are you
> > sure that your card actually has working irq hardware?  A lot of them
> > don't.
> >
> How would I determine if I'm using it or no? I believe that it _does_
> have working irq hardware, but I'm basing that on the FreeBSD boot
> summary:

> lpt0 at 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on isa
> lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
> lp0: TCP/IP capable interface

This means that the kernel thinks that your lpt port is using irq 7 -
but it's not necessarily.  If I'm not mistaken, the kernel doesn't
actually function test the interrupt.  In other words, you could have
non-functional or misconfigured irq hardware, and the kernel wouldn't
know.

You might try using the polling driver and see how that works.

If you're using the GENERIC kernel, disable the lpt0 driver and use lpt1
instead - just to test.

If you're NOT using the GENERIC kernel, try the following in your kernel
config -

	device lpt0 at isa? port? tty